“- and with a doomed groan, he remembered himself. His mind lapsed back to mundane reality, crashing out of blissful dreams.
Cool air was lapping gently over him. He sensed light glowering beyond his closed eyelids. Asleep forever, and still he needed more. Reality had nothing to match the dreams.
Laboriously, still closing his eyes to the room, he pushed his elbows up over the rim of his tublike bed and let the hands drop onto the worn cushions there. It was a few seconds more before the next giant leap towards action saw them tensen, hauling him up into a sitting position. Bitterly, he opened his eyes.
And there he was, same tired old face in the mirror. Captain Ken Jensen, reporting for duty. Normal life was the duty. Not that all the people back home would have seen it as a normal life. Well, any of them would be welcome to it.”Opening to ‘A Mortal Universe’, science fiction trilogy, by Ian Kennedy
Subscribe to the blog... we'll email you when new articles are published.
- CITIZENS: Excision – interactive series
- Course: Getting Your Writing Published & Produced – book now!
- Creative Writing courses – open to all across Birmingham!
- Current Productions…
- Donate and Invest in my work…
- One-Tweet Reviews
- Script Consultatancy & Writer Development… now as Director of World Wide Development for WriteMovies.
- Script Readings and analysis… (WriteMovies Director of World Wide Development, and freelance)
- The Mourning After – sensuous, satiric short film – view it here!
- Winning writing is a team game: winning competitions is only the start…
- INSIGHTS – Sociopaths: What really makes people (and characters) ‘bad’ or ‘evil’ (or sometimes just brilliant) – PART TWO
- INSIGHTS – Sociopaths: What really makes people (and characters) ‘bad’ or ‘evil’ (or sometimes just brilliant) – PART ONE
- Insights: Why you Should ‘twin’ your Protagonist and Antagonist
- Insights: Character Driven Storytelling – why it has to be your characters who are driving your story forward
- Articles & Features for Magazines & Newspapers (6)
- Awards & Nominations (3)
- Broadcast Credits (8)
- Children's Series (1)
- Demos and Samples (2)
- Developing Other Writers – Training & Teaching (8)
- Directing credits (5)
- Documentaries (2)
- In Development (16)
- Productions (5)
- Projects and Partnerships (14)
- Radio Production (6)
- Resources & Downloads (12)
- Reviews of my work (1)
- Script Editing & Script Reading (13)
- Short Films (4)
- Talks and Events (3)
- Theatre (3)
- Theatre Directing (1)
- Web Series (4)
- Web videos (4)
- Writing (35)
The Gift of Creativity... Donate and Invest!